DownsSteam Museum

DAV 1131 - "Memory Coach"

DAV 1131 was originally one of the “Pullman” first class sleeping cars built at Ipswich Workshops during the 1920’s and one of 17 recoded DAS about 1935. DAS1131 was included in the consist of the 'pilot train' during the Queensland part of H.R.H. Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester's visit to Australia in the latter part of 1934.

During the period 1975 – 1982, 13 DAS coaches were converted to Travelling Crew/Brake vans and re-coded TLV (Trainmen's Lavetory Van). Following the appearance of steel brake vans about 1980, the wooden TLVs were reclassified DAV. DAV 1131 is now our Museum carriage where visitors can view important historical artefacts that we have on display, these historical items were once an important facet of railway operations on the Downs.

DAV1131 is now conveniently positioned on the dock platform at Drayton Railway Station for a easy access to the Museum collection. Some of the artefacts on display include: Locomotive firing shovels, Locomotive and wagon builders plates, Locomotive operating manuals, Historical railway photographs, Old Railway maps, Railway Crockery and Cutlery. Donations of any railway items or memorabilia are gratefully accepted as we continue to expand our Museum collection.

Robey Stationary Steam Engine - No 30274

 Delivered: 10-4-1911 to Sydney. 3hp Class A SC Portable. This type of engine was the smallest of engines built by Robey, Class A refers to the simplest of valve gears, a slip eccentric driving a slide valve. Since arriving at DownsSteam during 2007 it has undergone restoration to full working order and can be found in operation during DownsSteam open days and special events.

Spencer Works No.6

Spencer Works No. 6 is a very special 1/3 scale replica steam traction engine completed in 2004 as a 15 year labour of love by the late Damian Strofeld.  Damian proudly showed No. 6 at many shows & rallies around the Toowoomba region until donating her to DownsSteam. No. 6 is still regularly steamed up at Drayton for Special Events.

OLO-44344 "Golden Fleece" Tanker

The OLO wagons came up from NSW in early 1992 whilst still owned by Ampol. Due to Ampol being bought by Caltex a couple of years later, the 18 OLO wagons were stored on the old grain sidings at Pinkenba from around 1994 until 1996 when QR bought them from Caltex. The initial plan from QR was to make use of the bogies and brake equipment. After being sold to QR in 1996, the majority of the OLO wagons were repainted in the usual wagon grey. This most likely would have been done in Toowoomba as it was one of only two remaining wagon maintenance facilities. Due to operational requirements, the "Golden Fleece" tanker is now stored on our Drayton East site & is not available for public viewing.

Donated by Neil Mansell